The Lyric Theater
The historic Lyric Theatre, built in 1912 on Broadway in downtown Tupelo, is the home of the award-winning Tupelo Community Theatre. The Comos, as the building was originally named, was designed as a vaudeville theater and included space for several commercial offices. Because its sturdy brick walls made the Lyric one of the few buildings to escape the fury of the 1936 tornado unscathed, the building was pressed into melancholy duty as a make-shift temporary mortuary in the aftermath of that tragedy.
Tupelo Community Theatre is a volunteer organization that produces a five show season each year as well as a summer youth theatre production and camp. Education programing provide North Mississippi students and teachers the opportunity to see professional quality productions in the Lyric or their schools. The Haunted Theatre in October celebrates the Lyric history and resident ghost Antoine. Concerts and partnerships with the Tupelo Film Festival and Elvis Festival provide additional entertainment opportunities. The Lyric Krewe provides volunteer support through ushers, poster distribution, and their “Spring Street Fiesta” Music, Monet, and Margaritas each spring.
In 2001, 2004, and 2008 TCT won the “Best Production” at the Mississippi Theatre Association Festival and in 2004 its production of Bel Canto was one of the winners at the Southeastern Theatre Conference festival.
For more information call 662-844-1935 or Click Here for Website.